April 25, 2007

Judging Movies?

I’ll carry on from the previous post and say that I’m not a person who can claim to be a good judge of movies, partly because I haven’t seen too many of them. For me a good movie is simply one after watching which I keep getting reminded and haunted of scenes from it, and when I’m not able to recall dialogues, go back to it and watch it again and again. But more than that, a good movie almost must have good music, great acting, and of course brilliant direction, dialogue-writing and story.
Actually simply, a good movie is one which I wouldn’t mind watching anytime, a movie which I would never get tired of watching.
A recent conversation made me wonder which my five favourite Hindi movies are. Determined, I set out to work almost immediately, deciding to shortlist ten favourite, and then choosing five out of those. I could eliminate three at most, after pondering on the list for three hours (I could’ve watched any of these movies in that time). Be that as it may, here are the remaining seven favourite movies, each of them which I would watch regardless of my mood or the time.

1. Aandhi – For Sampooran Singh’s genius.
2. Anand – For Babu Moshai.
3. Golmaal – For its stunning English translation ‘Hanky Panky’ and for its sequel.
4. Mili – For being the only movie I’ve cried while watching.
5. Masoom – For involving a nice but pompous Mr. Suri and
this.
6. Parineeta – For <in Amitabh Bachchan's voice:>
"Shekhar and Lolita".
7. Dil Se... – For being the only movie in this list with a multi-word title and for AIR.

I was supposed to rank them in an order as well, but couldn’t have possibly expended any more time. It’s supposed to be exam-time.
And I want my own TV and I hate football. It is absolutely foolish to argue that a random football match is either more important or more entertaining than a World Cup semi-final between Sri Lanka and New Zealand. Nonsense!

No comments: